I have a 3-tier setup (DB, webserver + app, driver) that I measure
performance on, and it usually uses DB2. I wanted to try H2 because DB2 is
painful to setup and H2 was dead simple.

I don't do much with or know much about databases, my concerns are mainly
in the other tiers, but after a bit of tinkering getting the setup to work
with H2 I found that H2 is 50-100x slower than DB2. I run H2 in server
mode, and use a memory database, use DB_CLOSE_DELAY=-1, use a recent JVM,
give the JVM 2G of heap, create the DB in exactly the same way as I do in
DB2, and throw a lot of traffic at it. Going to in-process from server mode
didn't make a difference.

Is it reasonable to expect average latency to be ~100x longer than DB2,
throughput to be 100x lower, etc, under this scenario? I really don't know
if I'm doing something wrong or if my expectations are too high or what.