I've been using H2 for years now and really appreciate it, but one thing I
can't figure out is how to know when, e.g., an INSERT causes a duplicate
violation.

In other databases (postgresql I'm pretty sure, but not positive) an
exception of the type SQLIntegrityConstraintViolationException is thrown.
But this doesn't seem to be the case in H2.

I think we can check the error code for 23505, but this seems fragile and
platform dependent.

Is there a reason why H2 doesn't
use SQLIntegrityConstraintViolationException?  Maybe there is some other
method I'm missing?

Thanks!