Startup/shutdown we largely assume is the responsibility of some higher level
component.

For backup/restore, what we have is SET EXCLUSIVE
    http://h2database.com/html/commands.html#set_exclusive

We have basic infrastructure such code could be built-on, the admin database stuff, which was, I believe, initially mostly designed around the needs of the cluster functionality, but you'd have to write some code yourself to make that work.