On 2019/08/29 7:01 AM, areichel wrote:
1) would it not be possible to throw a more meaningful exception, e.g. "Failed to
allocate table space"

We generally do, in fact we have unit tests that check that, but obviously we missing something. Very hard to get error handling right everywhere, especially for the edge cases.

2) why do especially indexes and constraints consume so much space in H2?

H2, by default in the latest versions uses a storage engine that trades off
space for improved IO speed.
You can switch to the older (and more compact) storage engine by append
MV_STORE=FALSE to the URL.

3) Is the a way to use compression when writing the H2 database file? I would like to use the H2 merely as a container for transporting data (instead of Schema dumps) and I wounder if a GZIP/BZIP stream could be used to write a compressed file.

H2 is not well suited to that use-case. You'd be better off with one of the
schema/data SQL dump tools floating around.

But we do have some options for compressing the data.
http://h2database.com/html/advanced.html#file_system