Hello.

The current version of the SQL Standard is SQL:2016 plus corrigenda and
additional parts from 2019. Please, don't talk about SQL-92, it is
completely outdated, there are six (!) versions that were published after
it.

I don't have the very recent version of ISO/IEC 9075-2, but in previous
versions in section “Comparison of character strings”, comparison
operations are delegated to the collation, and definition of comparison
predicate talks about the same. Technically the standard still requires
padding, but it should be a character that is not defined in the character
set and that is smaller than any character from the character set if
collation has NO PAD characteristic. Supported collations are
implementation-defined in the Standard, so you can't assume that all
databases will work in the same way.

>From my point of view PRIMARY collation shouldn't be the default, it is too
relaxed for normal use cases, it will break many applications. I already
saw such problems when a custom collation were used (for non-English
languages) and this strength was accidentally chosen.