I understand your suggested workaround. The workaround involves copying all the
records into a temp table via query with an order by and then paginating
through the temp table using the _rowid_ as the order by. Gotcha.
 Evgenij also suggest something a little more simpler that works for me -
simply adding the id to the order by like this:

SELECT * FROM award_test ORDER BY start_date desc, id LIMIT 50 OFFSET
100;SELECT * FROM award_test ORDER BY start_date desc, id LIMIT 50 OFFSET 150;

...which is what I'll probably end up doing.
But I still think that these are just workarounds. I don't think we should be
seeing "duplicates" like I reported - esp when there's a unique primary key.
But I'll let you guys have the last word on that.
Best,Peter