| <AMStanton> How about just CC with ability ot opt-out? done

I think that's the ideal answer.  And i think there's no need to
put barriers in people's way -- let's make CC the default.  We can
just put up a notice, plain and simple, on every page:

    All content on the DeanSpace [or whatever we call it] network
    is licensed under a Creative Commons license unless otherwise
    indicated.

    (...and hyperlink "Creative Commons license" to
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/1.0/ )

The forms where people post articles and media items can say:

    By submitting your content here, you are authorizing its
    distribution over the Internet.  Furthermore, unless you
    indicate otherwise, content you submit here will be licensed
    under a Creative Commons license so that others may share,
    modify, or display your work for noncommercial uses.

    If you prefer not to let others share your work under the
    terms of this license, enter your e-mail address here.
    If you have entered an e-mail address, your submission will
    be displayed with a warning that the CC license does not
    apply, and a note asking users of your content to contact
    you to obtain copyright permissions.

How's that for a proposal?  Let's open it for discussion for the
weekend, until midnight on Monday night.

Objections or concerns?

-- ?!ng