OK, so there's a postcard script I'd like to cadge a few ideas from. Not
wholesale cut/paste, just a couple ideas. It's licensed under GPL. This is
the first open source group project I've worked on; while I've been
programming for a bit, it's almost entirely been private work for myself and
my clients. What if anything do I need to do besides acknowledge the
original script? Add the GPL license to it? What? Sorry to be so dumb about
it, I did look up the GPL and read it but I'm still unsure as to widely
released work like this.

If you're just taking "inspiration" from something you don't have any obligations under the GPL. Only if you include significant portions of identical code (e.g. more than a couple lines) are you bound by it's terms.

cheers
-josh