For reasons that are sad, I have been trying to re-create my previous
HackRF set up under virtual box. But if I try to use the ALSA Audio sink
under virtual box it goes nuts (in a bad way) stuttering, gui hangs, lots
of aUaUaUaUaU in the console. If I put it to a WAV file then go back and
play the wave file its mostly fine (an occasional stutter but otherwise
solid). So that suggests to me there is some 'trick' to using audio sinks
in virtual box. Has anyone tweaked this to work for them? (I did slow the
audio stream to 16kHz to see if that helps, and at least it doesn't hang
the gui but it doesn't actually reproduce acceptable audio either. And yes
I've got the all the Vbox helper extensions installed)

--Chuck