Jonathan Hendler wrote:
Since Vertica is also a distributed database,  I think  it may be
interesting to the newbies like myself on the list. To keep the
conversation topical - while it's true there's a major campaign of PR
around Vertica, I'd be interested in hearing more about how HBase
compares with other "column stores" or hybrids.

Vertica is presumably based on C-Store. C-Store seems not optimized for immediate query of recently updated data, but rather for delayed queries over mostly read-only data warehouses. HBase (modeled after BigTable) is instead optimized for real-time access to read-write data. So I think it depends a bit on what your application needs.

E.g., from the C-Store paper: "we expect read-only queries to be run in historical mode. In this mode, the query selects a timestamp, T, less than the one of the most recently committed transactions [...]"

Doug