On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 02:37:28PM +0200, guy keren wrote:

> > - the capitalization of Kernel, Driver and Hardware is a bit
> > jarring. Same thing for all other slides.
>
> i want the terms discussed in the lecture to Stand Out, in the
> least-intrusive possible manner.

Then make them bold, or italic, or even _like this_. Capitalizing
inappropriate Words Makes it Look silly.

> if i get more ocmplaints about this, i'll
> un-capitalize them next time.

You can count my complaint as two, if you wish ;-)

> > slide 2
> >
> > - the kernel can be compiled entirely monolithic (no modules)
>
> ok, but this is not what people normally do (and there are features which,
> as far as i know, can only be compiled as modules).

In the core kernel? few if any. I would consider any such a feature a
bug. Pointers?

> i don't want to get
> into that - this is not a lecture for people in the embedded systems area,
> after all :)

Compiling a monolithic kernel is the easiest thing to do when you
compile on one machine and install on another - but it's your talk and
your call.

> > - explain why we have major and minors?
>
> hmmm... good idea. i did write what they stand for - just not why they
> exist. however, this explanation matters more for kernel programmers, and
> for users, so i'm not sure if it fits into this lecture. won't it be
> better to leave this for your 'device drivers' lecture? :)

Possibly. Your call.

> > - mention that for the user, the distrinction between character and
> > block devices is irrelevant? it's only the driver that cares
> > (different kernel APIs)
>
> ok. thought this is not entirely correct. it reflects on the nature of
> data tranasfer to/from the device.

And the user cares because?

> after all, passing data in blocks is
> normally faster then passing it in serial (ofcourse, passing in blocks ot
> a floppy is much much slower then passing serially to a firewire
> device...). hmmm.. ok, i'll mention this, after all.

For the user, /dev/kmem and /dev/sda are accessed exactly the same
(cat, dd, tail, echo, whatever). It's only for the programmer that the
distinction matters.

> > slide 11
> >
> > - 2.6 disables module unloading (by default?)
>
> i'm focusing on eisting kernels and existing distributions.

Some distros already have 2.6 in their testing branches. Fedora
"testing" already comes with a 2.6 kernel, AFAICR.

Cheers,
Muli
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/

"the nucleus of linux oscillates my world" - [EMAIL PROTECTED]