On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:26:54 +0200, Yoni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've programmed in some languages, mainly C++, some Java, PHP with SQL (and

Well, PHP/PERL and My/postgreSQL are exactly the same on both Windows
and Linux (well, there are some minor differences, i.e. installing
them on linux is much easier, and the slashes are in another
direction). A LAMP and a WAMP are very similar, except that the LAMP
is much more stable and secure (when installed correctly).

> a bit of perl since they are quite similiar), and prolog.
> Thanks for all the links, I'll check them out.
> Regarding the perl issue - I'm lucky to have learned php which lead me to
> perl, since i understand many linux applications are written in perl, or

Many Linux applications are written in many languages, among the most
popular are C, C++, PERL, python, PHP, Java, Assembly, delphi (kylix),
TCL/Tk, mono (aka C# .NET) and many many more, but whatever language
you write, as long as the final product is good, it is good. Don't
start talking about which language is better, or you will start some
flame wars, which might be a fun way to waste time, but I think all of
us prefer slashdot :). Shlomif is a PERL addict, so you can expect him
to try to make you think that the entire Linux system is written in
PERL. Sadly (or happily, depending on your favorite programing
language) it is not. There are programs written in any programming
language you can think of, and most of them are useful for someone,
somewhere. Just use the language you want, and keep your head open -
there is huge number of programing languages, and you can never know
which of them can make the task in front of you much much easier.

> perl-like syntax, I'll check the Israeli website too .
> Thanks for all the help & support :-)
You are welcome - any new developer coming around to help us is good.
Come on and join the free world. You will never look back (unless your
family forces you to maintain windows computers, which sucks-ass, big
time :( - sad personal story. Don't ask, and the spywares won't attack
you.... )

> Yoni.

<snip> The rest of the conversation quotation - check the archives for it <snap>

   Cheers,
   Shachar