On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:52:12PM +0300, Ron Artstein wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>
> >What mail client do you use? Is it pine 4.44 on Aix 4? Any more
> >up-to-date mail client availble? (e.g: pine 4.5x, mutt 1.4/1.5)
> >
> >ISO-8859-8-i has the sam characters as ISO-8859-8, but implies
> >logical ordering of characters. ISO-8859-8 in mail-web implies
> >visual ordering, which is generally a bad idea.
>
> My experience is that bidi-aware mail clients treat iso-8859-8
> and iso-8859-8-i as equivalent and display both using logical
> order. This is unlike the behavior of web browsers and might go
> against the standards, but is probably sensible given that most
> of the mail out there which identifies itself as iso-8859-8 is
> in fact in logical order.
>
> Of course this is irrelevant to pine, which not only is not
> bidi-aware but not even charset-aware: as far as I understand,
> the only thing pine does with the charset header on an incoming
> message is compare it to its own definition, and issue a warning
> if they're different. Otherwise character handling is left to
> the terminal.

Pine has some charset-awareness. E.g: you can set some charset-dependent
filters and settings. This should have be improved in pine 4.5x . Pine
4.4x was still very problematic with regards to multi-byte (e.g: UTF-8)
support, though.

It's been long since I've used pine, though.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | VIM is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |                           |  best