On Tuesday May 9 2006 11:12, Orr Dunkelman wrote:
> According to what they claim, the source code was undocumented, and they
> had to work hard to make it into a "readable" pseudo-code.
>
> It reminds me a time I had to "reverse engineer" a circuit diagram I got.
> Took me hours just to understand what the machine does (and I had the
> circuit diagrams).

Looks like every time my favorite mailing list, or my personal address is
picking up another strain of MyDoom, Beagle, or any other MS pandemic, and I
am in my free time and curiosity digging through mail headers, or some
poorly-written _undocumented_ code which is always a copy of another
months-old once-0day IE exploit, excluding the comments, with the payload
slapped in, I am actually reverse-engineering... Who would have thought....

Clearly and objectively, I am a uneducated newb when it comes to kernel and
security. I may miss some points here and there. I didn't read all the
sources the authors reference to. However, I've read the paper and didn't get
my revelation.
The "Why reverse-engineering the LRNG is not easy" part left me thinking about
the decisions that were made by the authors. I cannot confirm the hours of
rebuild and installation on every small kernel change claim, neither the
claim about undocumented, unreadable code.
The short excourse into RNG internals was highly educational, however almost
all practical attacks on the algorithm revolve around the security classic -
running out of entropy eventually. I agree completely with the claim that
feeding the entropy pool off the system state itself is foolish, at least
theoretically, but authors completely ignore the fact that anyone serious
enough will feed the pool off hardware generator(s) anyway, the existence of
the projects that provide this easy to set up feature, just for example:

http://www.av8n.com/turbid/

For the less security aware, there is the kernel support for hardware
generators on the motherboard in the current kernel that is about as hard to
get as running "make menuconfig" and enabling an option. (Well, maybe they
miss it because they analyze the kernel source snapshot of December 2004, can
anyone confirm?)

Apparently, the whole issue is not "Linux PRNG is faulty" but "OSS is not so
secure!". Isn't that the old "OSS is less secure because everyone can see the
security hole" FUD, raising it's head every once and so often? A bleak
eleventh pirate copy of a copy of "Linux ate my data/hard drive/neighbor" on
fresh steroids, only able to cause a stir among the ignorant?
Is it because the "A hole discovered in MS Doors" have about the same chance
of making a newspaper hard-sell headline as "A rain expected in Haifa this
Wednesday", but finding a dirty spot on some fresh player's clothes is such a
exciting little game? Even if it's the same spot, over and over and over
again?

What I can't figure out is how the fact that just about any teenager is able
to spot the security hole in your closed-source program, provided that our
average Joe managed it through two months of reading software cracking
tutorials and another month of "exploiting for dummies". How that fact can
provide a false sense of security to anyone is beyond my understanding.

--
Aggravated,
Michael Vasiliev

"We must not put mistakes into programs because of sloppiness, we have to do
it systematically and with care."
                        -- Attributed to Edsger Wybe Dijkstra