somefile.sass # gets compiled to somefile.css
_somefile.sass # does not get compiled, which makes it useful for importing
settings.

The import call in your other sass files stay the same.

There's no way to "extract" the variables and mixins from a file with rules in
it as well. If that's what you're after, you'll have to separate the settings
you want out of the file and create a new _settings.sass or something along
those lines.

-Lorin