On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 21:11:25 +0100 (+0100), Keith Edmunds wrote:
> However, Chris is right: you cannot *know* that two files are the same
> unless you compare them, byte by byte. If hashes are good enough for you,
> just backup the hashes and save lots of time and diskspace!

My understanding on this point is that in fact a hash _is_ good enough
- or rather the odds of a hash not being good enough are sufficiently
low (cf corruption on hard disks etc) that it's irrevevant.  For
instance see:

Adrian
--
bitcube.co.uk - Expert Linux infrastructure consultancy
Puppet, Debian, Red Hat, Ubuntu, CentOS