On 18/09/10 13:23, Samuel Penn wrote:

Completely off topic, but there's some clever people on this
list, so I'm hoping someone might have some ideas.

Playing around with my Android phone, I've noticed that
according to its compass application, East doesn't exist
around my house (near GU14 7AR). Whichever way I face,
the compass ranges from SW to N.

This isn't true all the time, but is most of the time. It's
not just my house, but wandering along the street shows the
same problem. It works normally outside this region, so I'm
not convinced that it's a problem with the phone.

It plays havoc with the Google Sky Map app (point the phone
at the sky, and it tells you what you're looking at). I think
it also breaks the PS3 Move controller (since that also uses
the magnetic field to align itself).

At some point I need to get a real compass to check things,
but in the mean time, does anyone have any ideas what might
be causing the issue?

not really however when I use my android compass app I also have the 3G data and GPS turned on so that the display is very much more that just magnetic

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user