Hi bryan,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 08:08:48PM +0000, bryan hunt wrote:
> Linux is a tinkerers OS.
>
> That's fine.
>
> I like it, you like it and they probably like it.
>
> Do normal people like it?
>
> Probably only if they suffer from severe social maladjustment.

My girlfriend is a non-technical person and doesn't really know or
care that the computer she uses for email, facebook, iplayer,
general web browsing and the odd bit of document editing is running
Ubuntu/Firefox/OOo instead of Windows 7/IE/Office. She just wants
her email, facebook, iplayer, general web browsing and the odd bit
of document editing to work. And they do.

As such, the concept of (dis)liking it for being Linux or Windows
doesn't come into it.

I would consider that more representative of a "normal" person's
computing demands.

Of course if she wasn't using a computer owned by me then it no
doubt would have come installed with Windows just like the computer
at her father's place. That probably wouldn't have mattered to her
though, as a casual computer user.

It's entirely possible that if she had any interest in more in-depth
computer usage that she might find Windows or OS X more pleasing
to use.

I can only assume that someone who holds such an extreme view of
Linux and expresses it on a Linux mailing list has got to be
trolling, and apparently succeeding; this is one of the larger
threads in recent times!

Well done with your "Linux is only for tinkerers and the socially
retarded" bait. It was a master-stroke to wait for someone else to
post about how open source is going to make them rich; c-c-c-combo!

Cheers,
Andy