I finally managed to sort this out. So for future reference, I'll tell you
how.

nscd was running. I stopped it and life is good. For those not familiar
with nscd it is a Name Service Cache Daemon. From the description
on the man page:

"Nscd is a daemon that provides a cache for the most common name
service requests. The default configuration file, /etc/nscd.conf,
determines the behavior of the cache daemon. See nscd.conf(5).

Nscd provides cacheing for accesses of the passwd(5), group(5), and
hosts(5) databases through standard libc interfaces, such as
getpwnam(3), getpwuid(3), getgrnam(3), getgrgid(3),
gethostbyname(3), and others."

Hopefully this will help anyone else who is stuck with this problem.

Tim B.
--
OpenPilot - Open-source Marine Chart Plotter
openDynamics - Open-source Vessel Motions Calculation