I am messing with the above on my home Ubuntu Hardy Server. When I first set up the ftp server I could login anonymously but could not upload. Makes sense as the permissions on the default /home/ftp directory have to be changed. So per the advice chmodded them to 777. But then when I logout I cannot log back in. Changing permissions to 755 allows the login again but then I cannot upload!

I should add that I had changed vsftpd.conf to allow anon upload.

As an addition the anonymous user cant download files, regardless of the /home/ftp folder permissions. :(