On 3 October 2011 17:24, Paul Tansom <p...@aptanet.com> wrote:
> A bit of a vague subject, but I'm looking at the possibility of finally
> getting
> a smartphone and at the moment the HTC Wildfire S and the Samsung Galaxy Ace
> are looking to be fairly decent entry level options. Has anyone any experience
> of these? I've seen some comments that the HTC can be a bit slow with the
> 600MHz processor, and the Galaxy is only 800MHz. Clearly it depends on how
> well
> they are designed to some extent, but both run Android (so I assume should be
> good with Linux). I think the Ace is the front runner at the moment for the
> better screen and marginally faster processor.
>
> As for usage, which will define whether performance is an issue to some
> extent,
> I will no doubt use it for web and email, but calendaring and a SIP client are
> of particular interest (clearly I need the right network to not block SIP
> traffic!). I'm not a bit gamer on my phone, but then I only have a Samsung
> G600
> at the moment, so who knows with a smartphone!

I have a smartphone with a 600MHz processor. (SE Experia X8). I would
say that it is marginal even on core functions. Opening the contact
list can take an age. If I had the option between two, and one of the
differences was processor speed, then I would go for the faster one,
as long as the battery life was the same.

My main gripe with these smart phones is they eat batteries. Charging
every day is a must if you actually want to use the bits that makes a
smart phone smart.

--
Philip Stubbs