Thank you Richard; I recall your earlier postings about laptop batteries and have been in the habit of having mine on mains power only in actual use - and set to take only 80% charge.

The problem here seems to have been resolved by this time leaving the netbook charging overnight - my thinking was that if the cells had been somehow charged unevenly, the trickle through charged cells would beef up the rest.

Seems to have worked. For good measure, today I ran the netbook on battery power for more than six hours until it went flat, then charged it, all whilst running programs and wireless to router.

Stats and graphs on 'Power Statistics' look OK and I'll run that a few times over the next days to see progress. Good idea of yours to unplug the battery when not in use. TYVM.

I'm typing this on battery power and will again let it run to flat before charging.

Others have pointed out that the netbook figure for running time remaining in batteries is unreliable; I endorse that, though it does indicate more or less correctly when it's about to run out.

Anyway, looks as though a new battery pack is not yet needed.
Great relief; the N145+ is a likeable little beast.

Tony Wood
(from Linux Netbook)