On Tuesday 20 December 2011 15:03:00 Paul Stimpson wrote:
> >The problem is, if I fail to get the concept across correctly, actual
> >lives might be lost!!!  (It is going to be used in a safety related
> >communications system)
> >It is the job of the other person to decide if equipment X is good
> >enough for the job or not from a safety perspective.
>
> I wouldn't try to explain the technicalities.

+1  My immediate reaction too.

This is something I have tried to explain to experts in the past. For example,
when a new computer system was put in in a factory where I worked, the
computer chap given the job was given me by the production manager as
a "helper" to make sure that the system would actually work.

The first production level clerk the computer bod approached, nearly had a
heart attack on the spot when he explained in detail what was going on.  I
drew him aside and suggested that it would be better if he just told her what
to do.  He tried again.  I watched an incipient nervous breakdown join an
incipient heart attack, and intervened.  I told her what to do, and peace
reigned again.

All most people want to know is what to do, and perhaps what will happen if
they don't.  Explanation merely muddies the waters.

Lisi