Hi Leo,

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 12:26:54AM +0000, Leo wrote:
> As a counter, I would not advise RAID for this (assuming we're talking about
> RAID1 or better, rather than RAID0). It will protect against hdd failure but
> that's all.

If the time to restore the service (e.g. by rebuilding the server
and reloading data from backups) after replacing a dead disk is
worth more than the disk capacity lost to RAID then you are better
off using RAID.

For most people they are better off using RAID.

If my home file server died it would take me at least a couple of
hours to rebuild it. I'd rather spend a small fraction of its disk
space to not have that problem, and that's a pretty trivial service.

Cheers,
Andy