> it was the 2006 model running Tiger. It has the
> single core processor so unable to run any more recent software and
> apparently not upgrade-able.

It is upgradeable.

Mine is of a similar vintage. It is currently running Leopard. I've not
got round to putting Snow Leopard on it yet.

> Memory is 1Gig but that could be doubled
> fairly easily.

Not all that easily. The Mac Mini is not intended to be user-upgradeable.
But it is possible. You need a cheapo palette knife. It is a fiddly job.

> Error: failed to install openssl

Macports occasionally goes through phases of being broken. It tends to
sort itself out in a day or two.

> Debian is so much easier to use ;-)

Any GNU/Linux distro is easier to use. But sometimes, people want code
written for OSX.

Vic.