On Sunday 09 September 2012 10:22:16 Benjie Gillam wrote:
> Apologies for the cross-post but I'm aware that there are a number of
> people on this list who are into hacking/making/tinkering.
>
> We're trying to get a Southampton Hacker/Makerspace off the ground, so
> we're about to start talks with Southampton University regarding potential
> early support. If you like making, modding or tinkering (be that software,
> hardware, textiles, Art, ...), could you take between 20 seconds and 3
> minutes out to fill in our survey? Only the first 2 questions are required.
>
> http://southackton.org.uk/2012/09/07/southackton-survey-2012/
>
> If you know anyone else who would be interested, please forward the survey
> on to them!
>
> The post above links to the survey, it also has a map showing the locations
> of the nearest hackerspaces, confirming that a Southampton hackerspace
> could be great for everyone in the surrounding area - not just people
> living in Southampton! The post also contains Wikipedia's definition of a
> hackerspace, in case you're not familiar with the term.
>
> Thanks, and sorry for the interruption,
>
> Benjie.

This sounded an interesting project, so I looked at the survey.  Unfortunately
it starts with misinformation.

It claims that the nearest hackspaces are in Bristol and London.  This is
simply not true.  There is a flourishing hackspace in Reading and a very
healthy, though as yet homeless, new hackspace specifically called "Surrey
**and Hampshire** Hackspace" (my stars).  This is currently meeting in Ash
Vale, near Farnborough.  And there may well be others of which I am unaware.

Lisi