> Unfortunately, these files were obtained from the device manufacturer
> under my customer's service agreement. I will check but I believe they are
> redistribution-restricted.

They are.

> one of the devices is called an "RX1290" so I'm guessing then that the
> file in the package called "rx1290.mib" (or maybe the one called
> "base.mib") might be a good place to start.

I'm currently working on SNMP on the RX8200, which is the successor to the
RX1290. There's a limit to what I can tell you (customer confidentiality),
but I might be able to help at some point.

> I'm not finding the snmptranslate man page very easy going. it looks like
> I need to find out how to indicate to it which file is the first I want it
> to parse.

My immediate recommendation would be to get hold of snmpb - it's available
on sf.net. I know going to a GUI browser is something of a cop-out, but
it's made my ilfe a whole lot easier.

Probably best to stay away from pysnmp too - it has "interesting" features
when you try to fetch OIDs that aren't in its current set of MIBs (and
requires a translation to get "standard" MIB files into it).

Vic.