> So far as I can see there are no automatic or GUI package management tools
> of any kind on my system.

The automatic system is installed by default, although it looks like it
wasn't originally enabled in F17. I often turn it off :-) It's called
yum-updatesd. You'll see an icon at the top-right of the Gnome2 screen -
I'm not sure what you get on the default F17 desktop.

The GUI package management tool is usually entitled "Add/Remove Software".
It should be in the Activities menu, under Applications->System Tools.

> I looked up yum on the Fedora wiki (I have heard
> of yum) and it said that yum is deprecated now.

I don't think yum is deprecated - it underpins PackageKit, which is what
is generally promoted. But you don't need to use yum (or even rpm)
directly any more (although I do, because it's quicker!)

> Red Hat has, apparently, got up2date, but I haven't got Red Hat.

up2date is deprecated; RHEL switched to a vanilla yum a long time back :-)

> And if Debian is anything to go by, I shall not be able to update the
> kernel
> simply; because I have only just installed, and it is already the newest
> currently in the relevant repos.

*Generally speaking*, the kernel available from an installer is the one on
the CD, so you will likely get update available.

> But then, I can't update anyway, so it is academic.

You will be able to in about 10 minutes time :-)

Vic.