I recently asked my ex-directory neighbours about cold telephone calls and it seems they get more than I do. (Their most recent was the 'Microsoft' 'your computer has a virus' scam.)

There's a telltale pause when we answer the phone. Often we are: addressed by name; asked 'How are you today?'; and told that the caller is ringing 'from the UK'.

My usual response is to say: "I don't believe you", before putting the phone down.

(We are registered with TPS.)

Tony Wood