Hi Lisi,

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 11:48:08PM +0000, Lisi wrote:
> On Sunday 27 January 2013 18:23:13 Robert Longstaff wrote:
> > Consequently, I think it would be great if people are prepared to do
> > intro talks on the subject (maybe advertise in advance so newbies
> > specifically come to that meeting) but I wouldn't want to make that the
> > main focus as the more expert users would likely drift away and take
> > their knowledge with them.
>
> I would have though that talks for the complete beginner would have a very
> limited audience at LUG meetings, where the majority of people present are
> experienced users.

I'm struggling to find a polite way to say this but I don't feel
that a majority of the thread starters here are experienced Linux users
(from the post content) at all, and I also feel that there will be
lurkers who are put off from posting questions because of the
technical nature of posts they see.

So I am not sure that even very basic talks should be discouraged.
Everyone starts somewhere.

Do bear in mind that experts are more able to go off and find
conferences and communities more befitting their level of expertise
anyway. (Hey, it's FOSDEM this weekend!)

> So far there has been a good mix of talks and levels.  This seems to me to be
> a much better idea.

No one has proposed focusing exclusively on beginner talks. Robert
specifically spoke AGAINST focusing on such. "A good mix of talks"
does mean SOME beginner stuff.

Cheers,
Andy

> The optimum programming team size is 1.
Has Jurassic Park taught us nothing?          — pfilandr