> For quite a few years I've used (non-free) acroread to access these
> files quite simply because the free readers (evince, xpdf, et al)  just
> aint good enough.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but Free Software is
almost always capable of doing the necessary.

> Acroread allows me to open files in multiple tabs which is fairly
> important to me as I'm always needing to access baptism, marriages
> and burials for a any particular parish at the same time. The
> alternatives don't seem to be able to do this.

I've just tried it with Okular doing the PDF work and Konqueror doing the
tabbed interface. Works beautifully...

> The problem is that acroread is a 32 bit application

The fundamental problem is that acroread is a non-Free application. That
means you are beholden to what Adobe wants to give you. And they don't
want to give you what you want.

>> libc6 : Breaks: libc6:i386 (!= 2.17-2) but 2.17-1 is to be installed.
>> libc6:i386 : Breaks: libc6 (!= 2.17-1) but 2.17-2 is installed.

Once you get to libc dependency issues, it's usually time to give up.

> I'm not sure how to get around this problem.

I have a method, but you won't like it one bit.

> any suggestions welcome (apart from suggestions I use a free
> software package that is!)

Any particular reason you're averse to a Free solution?

Vic.