On 16/09/13 12:23, Daniel Llewellyn wrote:
I think Facebook is probably the worst offender in terms of potential
privacy issues in regards to targeted advertising. I'm listed on there
as being Single, so Facebook ads have worked out that I obviously want
to date an Asian woman or a woman in uniform along with several other
dating-related adverts. Neither of these are necessarily true, and
presuppose that I want to date at all.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife. However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood ..." - Jane Austen

Tony Wood
d:-)

On 16 September 2013 10:44, Gordon Scott <gor...@gscott.co.uk
<mailto:gor...@gscott.co.uk>> wrote:

    On Sun, 2013-09-15 at 21:54 +0100, Daniel Llewellyn wrote:

     > And the reason people refer to email as like a postcard as opposed to
     > a letter

    One of the arguments for encryption of email was that if one wouldn't
    post a letter without putting it in an envelope, why do we send emails
    without something similar.

    The catch with encrypting e-mail, of course, is that it pretty much
    guarantees that certain organisations will immediately start taking a
    strong interest in it.

    There are several big nuisance factors of 'targeted' advertising. It
    presumes that mail or searches one send or does mention subjects of
    interest to me, rather than to some second or third party; It may
    presume that keywords in emails are of interest to me, when those emails
    are spam. They presume that ones interest is still extant.

    Yes, my mileage does vary :-)

    Gordon.

    <mailto:Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk>

Daniel Llewellyn