On 20 May 2014 21:24, Daniel Llewellyn <diddle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 May 2014, at 13:27, Anton Piatek <an...@piatek.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Gmail on mobile actively makes it more difficult to bottom post
>
> Gmail’s interfaces are all geared up for top-posting both on mobile and
> desktop browsers and native apps. The nice thing, however, is that Gmail
> provides SMTP and IMAP capabilities for you to use with your favourite
> offline MUA (Mail User Agent - e.g. Thunderbird) which is more likely to
> provide the capability to bottom post easily.

Except that the Gmail app uses push notifications and that means it is
incredibly more battery efficient. Also, having started using the more
powerful sorting features of Gmail, it is really hard to consider IMAP
a suitable protocol for working with this amount of email any more.

> To reference Dr Trickett’s email:
>
>> Sadly almost all non-technical business email is top-posted and it is
>> difficult to read, often incoherent and a great source of confusion in
>> business.
>
> This is perpetuated by every(?) closed-source MUA such as Outlook (look
> out!), Apple Mail and the aforementioned Gmail clients per their default
> settings which most folk don’t realise there’s any need to change nor even
> know they can do so. Some clients don’t even provide the option to switch to
> the saner variety (bottom-posting) at all!
>
> I often fall into the same trap that most folk do where I’ll hit reply, start
> typing my message and hit send before then remembering that my client
> top-posts by default but now my message is already sent.

There is a bug/ticket somewhere for the Gmail app to support bottom
posting, but I just don't think Google care.

Google and Gmail also means I don't care much either, as it collapses
already seen parts of the message so it only shows the reply, meaning
that if you top or bottom post it makes little difference to me. For
some mails I do find a pc and reply inline, but for the most part it
isn't worth the extra effort unless the pc is in front of me already
(like now)

Anton

--
Anton Piatek
email: an...@piatek.co.uk

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.