I concur with much of what's been said above (too much to try and
interleave :) I use GMail habitually now, and can (as here) make a point of
of going 'expand-select-cut' to get rid of the undertop, or to filter into
it... interestingly, I have found with some non-LUGgy correspondents that,
if I reply to a mail of theirs in 'interleaved' mode, then they are more
likely to do the same in their response. Some, however, do get confused.

I actually think the nature of email "conversations" has probably changed
since the time (70's? 80's?) when some of these norms were formed, and
nowadays email users don't 'reply' to individual items in a communication
in the same way as we used to back then, but rather in a more gestalt "you
say foo, I say bar" kind of way. I don't necessarily think it's a good
thing...