Hi all,

The next Southampton Python User Group meeting will be on Monday, with a
talk about robotic sailing:

When: 6pm, Monday 3rd October
Where: Room 1083, Nuffield Theatre (Building 6), University of
Southampton.
(Right by the university bus interchange, if you're coming on public
transport)

The speaker, Sophia Schillai, led a team from the University which
earlier this month won the small boats class of the World Robotic
Sailing Championship in Portugal.

As usual, after the talk there will be a chance to give lightning talks
- the suggested theme is robots, sensors, and code that interacts with
the physical world. If you'd like to give a brief (maximum five minutes)
talk, please let me know!

Refreshments will be provided, and we'll go to a nearby pub afterwards
for drinks and food.

Best wishes,
Thomas

-----

Sophia led a team from the University of Southampton which recently won
the World Robotic Sailing Competition (Micro Sailboat class). Come and
hear about how we used Python and Linux to make a boat sail itself,
including:

- Why is it so hard to make a robot sail?
- What happened to us at the World Robotic Sailing Championship (besides
winning it)?
- Who are ROS and Brian?
- What tools did we combine to make the Black Python sail?