Hi,

On Thu, Nov 03 at 05:58, Peter Alefounder via Hampshire wrote:
> I understand that people do have laptops running Linux, so how is
> it done? I would be grateful for any advice.

I've has a couple of ancient laptops running linux in my time and
my current EEE-PC N900 is coming to the end of it's useful life so
I've been looking at the market.  Not made a purchase decision yet.

Goggling about is interesting.  A few things I think I've spotted.

Avoid modern Lenovo [1].  Although they've reluctantly issued a BIOS
fix it sounds like it a performance hit.

"It has Ubuntu installed" does not guarantee good compatability with
other versions of linux or even Ubuntu upgrades.  Several of the
expensive Dell systems came with extensive binary blob drivers for
things like touch screen and even Wifi operation.

I will NOT buy a Windows PC and then install linux over the top.  I
have no wish to contribute to the coffers of an immoral organisation.
As an aside, does anyone understand how they can justify a 22% UK
price hike when they don't import anything material ?

If you are going cheap and cheerful second hand, just google for
compatability.  Check the teardown sites for how easy it might be to
change the wifi module for a linux compatable one.  This used to be
a common stumbling point but usually easy to swap the hardware.

Pesonally I'm currently leaning towards an Entroware Orion [2].  Must
get off my backside and email them about any binary blobs etc.

[1]
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/21/lenovo_denies_plot_with_microsoft_to_block_linux_installs/
[2] https://www.entroware.com/store/laptops/orion

--