Sent from my iPhone

> On 16 Feb 2022, at 23:37, Peter Alefounder via Hampshire
> <hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
>
> I am trying to mount a logical volume, under Debian 11.1.0. lsblk gives:
> NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
> sde           8:64   0 931.5G  0 disk
> sde1          8:65   0   243M  0 part
> sde2          8:66   0     1K  0 part
> sde5          8:69   0 931.3G  0 part
>
> It is sde5 that I want access to. Trying to mount it:
>
> root@debian:~# mount /dev/sde5 /mnt
> mount: /mnt: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'.
>
> An internet search suggests use of lvdisplay to get a name that
> can be used to mount it:
>
> root@debian:~# lvdisplay
>  WARNING: PV /dev/sde5 in VG debian is using an old PV header, modify
> the VG to update.
>
> (and then lists disks for which there is no problem)
>
> Any ideas on how I proceed from here?

Hi Peter,

a)
in mnt create an empty folder ie petersdisk. its not cool to mount directly on
/mnt it blocks other mounts. to say /mnt/cdrom …

if its not a new disk. stop. i know nothing about lvm2 (software raid) suggests
this disk is actually one from a set of disks.

you probably cant mount the disk in isolation from its set. (a striped set
would mean the file parts span multiple physical disks. )

if not and
b) this is a new disk…have you formated the partition yet? if i recall its
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sde5 (substitute filesystem format as required? )

once formated them do: mount /dev/sde5 /mnt/petersdisk ext4

(obv my example chose ext4 just for illustration… i’m a bit out of date on
whats best to use.. it can be subjective to the use case, but ext4 used to be
the pref for a single everyday internal desktop drive)

finally add an entry to /etc/fstab
hope that helps
Jay