Hi,

I have a small question. Did someone know if it is possible to do simple
traffic multiplexing with HAProxy? Maybe I am missing it somehow, but
want to ask on the list before creating a patch for it.

Just to answer the real-world scenario question. TCP multiplexing can be
very useful for debugging backend servers or doing a simple logging and
passive traffic dumping.

There are two major ideas of implementing it:

  - 1:N (Active / Passive)
  - 1:N (Active / Active)

Well active means that request is going to destination and response back
to client and passive means that only request is going to the destination.
In configuration it could look like:

        listen  smtp-filter     127.0.0.1:25
                mode            tcp
                balance         multiplex
                server          smtp1 10.0.0.5:25
                server          smtp2 10.0.0.6:25

The active / active would be very hard to implement, tcp stream
synchronisation would be a pain and I think no one will really need
this, but active / passive is a very useful feature.

In my environment it is often so, that developers need access to real
traffic data to debug (in the example above) their developed smtp
software. Is anyone else missing such functionality? :)

--Maik