H Willy,

Willy Tarreau schrieb:
Your configuration is right. I think that your problem is simply
that when you have too many incoming requests, the time to process
them all one at a time is too long for the last one to be served.

No, it seems like it was a bug in haproxy. The problem went away
after I upgraded to the latest haproxy release.
I previously used the haproxy package shipped with Ubuntu 8.04 (1.3.15.1). The haproxy "recent news" webpage mentions some bugfixes for maxconn=1 setups, seems like a encountered one of those fixed bugs.

Thanks anyway,
Fabian