On Mit 14.10.2009 16:21, Greg Gard wrote:
hi all,

i recently started building haproxy and was a bit fuzzy on what the
preferred options are for the build. i read the README, but still find
myself wondering if i have the best set.

I have used it with default settings and the both PCRE as you have used
and was very happy.

Also due to the fact that I have seen how this 'defaults' was created
;-)

So from my point of view I think that the defaults are more or less well
optimized for the most setup.

Of course for some special setups maybe you can use

DLMALLOC_SRC, CFLAGS or SMALL_OPTS and strip the binary and remove the
-g but the question is, is the haproy the bottleneck?

The oposit is, if a bug appears it is much more harder to get the
informations where the bug is.

Jm2c

here is what i did:

first i edited the makefile:
PREFIX = /usr/local/haproxy/1.3.20

There is the variable

DESTDIR

then ran:
make TARGET=linux26 USE_PCRE=1 USE_STATIC_PCRE=1

make TARGET=linux26 USE_PCRE=1 USE_STATIC_PCRE=1 \
DESTDIR=/usr/local/haproxy

The only problem is that you then will have the following directory
layout:

$(DESTDIR)$(PREFIX) => /usr/local/haproxy/usr/local

Which is a bit hassle ;-(
How about to use PREFIX only if DESTDIR is empty ala:

ifeq ($(DESTDIR),)
PREFIX=/usr/local
else
PREFIX=$(DESTDIR)
endif

opinions about this change?

i noticed in the makefile that regparm is recommended on x86, and i was
unaware of the -g option described in an earlier email to this list
today.

BR

Aleks