You *can* set up haproxy to act as tcp proxy which passes requests to
backend https servers but then u cant use any of the "advanced"
functions of load balancer (u cant for example forward requests to
different backend based on path, or use cookie-based persistence).
Can't u just turn off SSL (or connect to non-ssl port) on application
server ? and do SSL before haproxy ? I mean instead of

[client](HTTPS) -> (HTTPS)[haproxy in tcp mode](HTTPS) ->
[appserver](HTTPS)
do
[client](HTTPS) -> (HTTPS)[stunnel or lighttpd](HTTP) ->  (HTTP)[haproxy
in http mode](HTTP) -> [appserver](HTTP)