Angelo Höngens wrote:
On 22-4-2010 20:28, Michiel van Es wrote:
Yes
That is the default smtp failover setup but I want to balance the load
via a load balancer setup
Mx records can not balance load

If you have 2 mx records with the same priority, your load should be
balanced..

Or you could have a single mx record pointing to a hostname which has 2
A records.. DNS round robin will take care of the balancing.

That is why there are almost no smtp balancers, because it is not
needed. In the 1980's they already designed smtp for balancing and
failover. For other protocols this was not so easy, that's why people
wrote http balancers :)

Yes I understand, but what about settings features as weight or doe advanced load balancing?
What is one of the mailservers are broken and you want to take it offline.
With a normal TTL in dns it can take 1 or 2 days before other mailservers know it should not send a mail to that server and use the other.
I like load balancers because they can let you decide how traffic must flow.

I am trying now LVS on my HAproxy load balancer but can not get it working with just 1 public ip-adres (it is a vps).
I am buying a 2nd ip to use as vip for LVS..perhaps that works.

Kind Regards,

Michiel