On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 04:48:15PM +1200, Todd Nine wrote:
> Hi guys,
>   We're experiencing a strange issue I could use a hand with.  We
> require sticky sessions in our app.  I was using the following
> configuration in my haproxy conf
>
> https://gist.github.com/0e8dba64b2008473c408
>
> Occasionally, I'm seeing this problem.
>
> 1. Client makes first request
> 2. Client is connected to node, say test-app-west-1
> 3. Client response is received, client executes jquery on document load
> json calls
> 4. The client receives the cookie value of "test-app-west-3" in it's
> json response, but "test-app-west-1" was sent in the request.
>
> I'm on Ubuntu 10.10 server 64 bit with HA-Proxy version 1.4.8
> 2010/06/16.  Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

If you're seeing that a different cookie was sent in the response than
the one in the request, it means the server went down and the request
had to be redispatched. This should be clearly visible in the logs.
You will see one request with flags "NI--" going to test-app-west-1,
then probably a few requests with flags "VN--" going to it, then one
request with either "DI" (server down) or "VI" (server was not yet
known as down but connection failed and was redispatched).