You could use something as simple as curl to see if the connection is left
in-tact.

$> curl -I -v www.example.com

If keep-alive is working, curl will include a verbose message like this:

* Connection #0 to host www.example.com left intact

and then close the connection since it has no pending requests to make

* Closing connection #0

-Bryan