Hi Aleks,

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 12:52:20AM +0200, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
> Hi Willy,
>
> I have take a look about the last test on
>
> http://haproxy.1wt.eu/10g.html
>
> and thought it would be nice to see a test with the brand new 1.5
> version.
>
> What do you think ;-)?

I agree in principle, but you know, running benchmarks takes a *lot*
of time. The main issue I'm having right now is that I don't have a
10Gb switch, so I'm running with direct-attached machines, with only
one client, one proxy and one server. In such a setup, it's common
to see all 3 machines at 100% CPU during some tests, and it's hard to
tell the part caused by client, server or proxy. The worst case I had
was to be limited to about 15 Gbps full duplex and not being able to
determine which machine or NIC was causing this, as most PCI-e chipsets
I've encountered in the past were not able to reach the line rate.

I really need to build a lab with at least 5 machines (2 clients, 2
servers, one proxy and a switch). This is the only way to measure
the impact on each component.

Anyway, what I'm expecting from new 10G runs with 1.5 is to have the
same data rate over the wire (since we're doing nothing for this, we
just use splice() to ask the kernel to do the work for us), but see
an increase in the amount of peak connections per second. This is
especially important for systems dealing with DDoSes using stick-tables,
as they need to get rid of a connection as soon as possible.

Cheers,