Hi Erik,

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 06:40:49PM +0000, Erik Torlen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see different results on the keep alive using http vs https.
>
> Loadtest against https (through stud) gives me around 69% keep alive effiency
> (using 3-20 objects per connection in different tests). When testing
> through http directly against haproxy I get 99% keep alive with the same
> loadtest scripts.
>
> I have tried changing timeouts and different modes (http-pretend-keepalive
> etc) but still no improvement.
>
> Anyone that knows how to improve this and why it's happening?

If you're trying directly then via stud and see different things, then
none of the haproxy options (pretend-keepalive, ...) will have any effect.
It is very possible that timeouts were too low but that would mean you
were using insanely low timeouts (eg: a few ms). It is also possible
that the tool you used for the test can't run as many https concurrent
connections as it runs http connections, and that it closes some of them
by itself. And it is also possible that there are a few issues with stud.
While it performs well, it's still young and it is possible that some
pathological corner cases remain. Haproxy experienced this in its early
age too. You need to enable logging everywhere and get more precise stats
from your load testing tool (eg: all response times, not just an average).