Just in case anyone was following in my effort to get HAProxy running in EC2.
The "peers" mode will not work in EC2 because the IP address identified in the
peer section must be an ip which is bound to the interface. I could not find a
way to bypass it. Since the static IP assigned in EC2 are not really bound to
the interfaces on the vm itself, it appears for the time being it is not
possible to run in peer mode with static IP. It is possible to use the internal
10.x.x.x IP assigned by Amazon but that may change after a reboot. Oh, well I
guess it is what it is.