Hi David,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:46:52AM -0700, David Birdsong wrote:
> i'm not seeing my response that swear i sent last night...

I swear I didn't see it :-)

> yes, this would solve our issues and would be very, very useful.

OK, I'll have to think about it. Now I remember what the hard part
was, an ACL is a list of possible expressions, and each expression
supports multiple pattern sources. On the socket we could only reload
one pattern source of one type at a time, of course. So the complexity
comes in naming what we want to reload. For instance :

      acl bad_guys src 0.0.0.0/8 127.0.0.0/8 224.0.0.0/3
      acl bad_guys hdr_ip(x-forwarded-for) 0.0.0.0/8 127.0.0.0/8 224.0.0.0/3
      acl bad_guys hdr_ip(x-forwarded-for) -f manual.lst -f automatic.lst

Now when trying to reload the "bad_guys" ACL, in fact we'd like to reload one
of the files. Probably that we should find a way to name a specific expression
(one ACL statement) that will have to be reloaded, I don't know. Or maybe in a
first time we could reject reload requests for ACLs that have more than one
statement.

I also remember that some pattern parsing errors were sent to stderr and will
have to be disabled when fed this way. In summary, nothing terribly complex
but nothing trivial either.