A fairly easy configuration is to have Pound SSL sitting in front of
HAProxy. I don't have benchmark numbers, but the configuration is fairly
simple:

Pound:443 -> Haproxy:80 (or really any tcp port that haproxy is listening
on)

Here's most of my pound.cfg file:

ListenHTTPS
  Address 0.0.0.0
  Port    443
  # Obviously, adjust this to point to wherever your ssl cert is
  Cert    "/etc/ssl/yourssl.pem"
End

Service
  Backend
    # in this configuration, haproxy is sitting on the same server as pound
    Address 127.0.0.1
    Port 80
  End
End