On May 8, 2012, at 2:01 PM, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> That's why with the guys from Squid, Varnish and Wingate we presented
> an concurrent proposal to the IETF one month ago :
>
>  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tarreau-httpbis-network-friendly-00

I hope that HTTP 2.0 requires encryption/compression for all traffic.

Also, I would hope that geographic/distributed load balancing is better
addressed in the protocol.  That is, any request can get forwarded to another
IP immediately (along with any session data needed by the new server) and a
short response back to the client (if the new server accepts the request)
containing a Unique Request ID and the IP for the client to connect to for the
response.  The client would, when seeing this redirect response, connect to the
IP with the Request ID to get the response.  Subsequent requests from the
client should be made to the new IP for the given host and could be changed
again.

I'm thinking this could make geographic load balancing easy without using DNS
to make the geo decisions based only on source ip.  And, this might really help
with DDoS attack mitigation in that a server/haproxy could easily transfer
authenticated users (e.g., logged in users to the site) to separate networks
(that only accept authenticated requests) and severely limiting the connection
rate to domain's DNS IP.

Kevin